What is Lumen? If you need to answer this question with one statement then you can say “Lumen is fast micro-framework by Laravel and used to develop high speed micro-services and API development.“
In This Article
Lumen is majorly used to develop APIs and web services. Lumen is Laravel’s micro framework that was created by the Laravel’s creator i.e. Taylor Otwell. You can check all the releases of here Release Notes – Lumen – PHP Micro-Framework By Laravel.
Lumen is a micro framework which means it is fast and small version of web framework. PHP has other two framework named slim and silex.
Lumen use compesr to install all its dependencies. So, before you start you have to install composer first. If you don’t no how to install composer follow the article here Install Composer on Linux and Windows in 3 Steps.
Some server requirements to install Lumen are,
- PHP 7.3 (for newer Lumen version)
- PDO PHP Extension
- OpenSSL PHP Extension
- Mbstring PHP Extension
You can install Lumen as like laravel by pulling it from global.
composer create-project --prefer-dist laravel/lumen blog
After the complete installation, if you use local server or any built in PHP server then run the below command,
php -S localhost:8000 -t public
Some Major Points About Lumen
- Lumen is the micro framework for web application that used to create micro services or APIs.
- It is a smaller and lighter part of Laravel.
- On the integration part, it supports third praty integrations like any pyament gateway or security packages like JWT.
- It handles number of requests more than Laravel.
- Also response time is very less compared to Laravel.
- Lumen majorly used for its speed.
Lumen is a trimmed version of laravel to increase its speed. It does not create problem with the major tasks like views, sessions and routing etc. So here we learn about Lumen, its major use and its installation on our local server.
Hope you will understand, if you have any question let me know.
- Load Dynamic Content in Bootstrap Modal using Ajax
- What are Traits in PHP And Its Use With Example
- How to Use Expression of Multiline String in PHP